Church Begins at Home: The 4th Sunday of Lent
Opening the Scriptures at Home
The global Catholic Church is reflecting on the same readings from the Bible for the Fourth Sunday of Lent. We remain spiritually connected to one another as we open our hearts to the Word of God.
1. Encounter the Word of God
Read the Biblical readings for the Fourth Sunday of Lent
Listen to the Biblical readings for the Fourth Sunday of Lent
2. Reflect on the Word of God
Silently reflect, write down or share your insights about the readings.
You may also desire to watch a video reflection on the Biblical readings.
Spend some time in silence and bring to your mind some of the prayer intentions you have.
Introduce The Lord's Prayer in these or similar words: Gathering our prayers into one, we now pray in the words that Jesus gave us...
Focused Learning Opportunities & Activities
After sharing the scriptures for the Fourth Sunday of Lent, consider engaging in one of the following learning opportunities. These varied activities provide encounters and experiences for people of all ages.
- Have a responsive reading of the psalm for the day (Responsorial Psalm - Psalm 23).
- After the responsive reading, invite each member of the household to share one or two prayer requests that relate to their experiences in the previous week and hope for the week to come.
- Once everyone has shared, read in unison Psalm 23.
Women's Learning Group (provided by the MBS Council of Catholic Women)
- Read the second reading (Ephesians 5:8-14)
- Focus on the words: "Live as children of light, for light produces every kind of goodness and righteousness and truth. Try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the fruitless works of darkness." (verses 8b-11a)
- Examine the "Living On Purpose" sheet and connect it to the words in focus (above) from the second reading.
Global Discipleship (provided by the Catholic Relief Services Chapter at MBS)
- Engage "Stories of Hope" for the Fourth Week of Lent.
- Select Four stations from the Stations of the Cross videos from CRS.
- Pause after each video and listen to God's voice.
- Explore the Lenten recipes from around the world.
- Watch "Jesus Heals a Man Born Blind."
- Kindergarten: Enjoy the coloring sheet.
- Grades 1-2: Enjoy the coloring sheet and title it "The Gospel of John, Chapter 9."
- Grades 3-5: Enjoy the coloring sheet, title it (see above) and label the individuals in the image.
Middle & High School
- Watch "Blind Man Healed."
- Watch an explanation and teaching of John 9: "The Healing of the Blind Man at the Pool of Siloam."
- Listen to "Please Don't Pass Me By" by Fred Hammond.
- Add "Please Don't Pass Me By" to your own music collection/playlist.
- Listen to "Please Don't Pass Me By" again and write down your prayer requests for the coming week.